Unit 3 Big Idea and Essential Questions
In his book, The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People, Stephen Covey says the following about responsibility: "Look at the word responsibility- 'response-ability'- the ability to choose your response. Highly proactive people recognize that responsibility. They do not blame circumstances, conditions or conditioning for their behavior. Their behavior is a product of their own conscious choice, based on values, rather than a product of their conditions, based on feeling." This unit explores this concept of one's ability and willingness to respond to the world around them.
- What does it mean to be responsible?
- What responsibilities do we have to ourselves? Our family? Our community? The world?
- To who or what are we responsible?
- What is the relationship between age and the level of responsibility? At what age should we be totally responsible and accountable for our actions?
- What are the benefits and drawbacks of being held responsible for something?