Unit 1 Big Idea and Essential Questions
Identity focuses on characteristics comprising the self. Our personal identities develop and evolve as we discover the self within various influences of personal, societal and social contexts. In an established identity, the individual is able to explain the origins and influences of these characteristics.
- Who am I? What are the factors that can shape identity? In what ways is our identity defined by others?
- How does society influence our identity and the choices we make?
- What does it mean to be from a place? How does where we are from influence who we are?
- Why is individual identity important?
- Is how we identify ourselves more important than how others identify us?